Saturday, March 29, 2008

Organic Gardening Anyone?

Over the years we've made alot of lifestyle changes and I've learned alot along the way. One thing I have always wanted to do was to grow my own vegetables. My husbands father had a wonderful garden, he grew up eating fresh snacks right from the backyard. I want my boys to have that experience but I myself have no idea where to start, it all seems so overwhelming.

My husband attempted one about 6 years ago, it was the wrong time of the year down here in Florida and it posed extra challenges he did not have from his experience growing up in New Jersey. So the garden area still sits empty. It seems every spring I get the urge to go out there and clean it up and get it ready but that's as far as it goes.

So the other day I got that urge and spent the afternoon out in the yard, grass and weeds were pulled, pine needles raked, dirt turned over with a shovel and then raked again. Looks good and I had a sense of accomplishment. Until . . .


I went online to look up what to plant. Yup, you guessed it I waited to long and the planting season for southern Florida is just about done. With cucumbers and tomatoes being the last on the list as March.

Seeing that in few days March will be over I wonder if there is time to actually get the garden going or did I miss my opportunity again?


If anyone out there has any suggestions or tips for me I would ove to hear them!

1 comment:

NikkiJay11 said...

Welcome to the world of blogging Danielle

I have just started blogging over at http://straighttalkingmum.wordpress.com/